Kokkola – An Important Port with a History Going Back Several Centuries

As evidenced in the extensive review of the history of Port of Kokkola the tradition of important port operations on the shore of the Bay of Bothnia in Kokkola goes back several centuries. Kokkola was known as ”the town of a thousand sail ships”, and the annual total tonnage calling Kokkola between the years 1800 and 1834 was the highest in Finland. Today the commercial connections from the port of Kokkola reach every corner of the world. The goods provided by the local, national and international transit customers and handled in the port include dry bulk, containers, fuel and oil and general cargo.

The port of Kokkola is the largest of the four ports located on the Ostrobothnian coast. A 13 m deep access channel, the result of the largest investment, leads into the port of Kokkola. Thus Kokkola is the third port in Finland with a deep access fairway. The number of Panamax and Cape Size class vessels annually calling the port of Kokkola is increasing all the time. Investments into the equipment and hardware in the port have been considerable, and this has contributed to the increase in the yearly handling capacity from three million tons in the early 1990-ies to almost eight million tons today. In 2013 Kokkola retained its position as the third largest general port in Finland with a total traffic of 7.9 million tons.

The excellent railway connections to Russia link Kokkola to the Murmansk area, the Kola Peninsula and further on to the Komi area and other distant areas in West Siberia. The railway and road connections to other Destinations in Russia are good and competitive. In addition to the specialized dry bulk and timber traffics several regular lines connect Kokkola to the United Kingdom (Immingham) and to the European Continent (Hamburg, Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Antwerp) There are both covered and open storage areas in abundance on the port area, and new areas are being planned and added as the demand calls. An important part of the operations in the General port are handled in the covered All Weather Terminal, where the handling of goods is exceptionally efficient and careful.

The port is an essential link in the trade between East and West. It offers fast connections to and from Russia and other parts in the world. Goods destined for Russia at directly loaded on to railway wagons that cross the Finnish/Russian border ten hours later. In the immediate vicinity of the port large international industrial companies like Boliden Kokkola Oy, Tetra Chemical Europe Oy and Freeport Cobalt Oy, as well as a multitude of SMEs, are located.

Port of Kokkola has invested and continues to invest, on a long term basis, in order to improve the infra structure of the port. In addition, more funds and areas are continuously reserved for new projects. Based on the 13 m deep access channel, the Deep Port, state of the art handling equipment and new warehouses Port of Kokkola can offer its customers high quality services and guaranteed, reliable operations. Being a free-trade area and combining experience with sound business principles and close and efficient connections to the growing Russian markets Port of Kokkola and it customers are in the pole position for successful growth and development.

The history of Port of Kokkola